THROTTLE & HEARTS
Throttle & Hearts
Chapter 1
The first thing Lena noticed wasn't the bikes.
It was the noise.
Not loud.
Not obnoxious.
Just the low rumble of dozens of engines idling as riders chatted in the morning sunshine.
She pulled into the meeting point and immediately felt out of place.
Rows upon rows of motorcycles stretched across the car park.
Adventure bikes.
Cruisers.
Touring bikes.
Sports bikes.
Every colour imaginable.
Her own Yamaha R1 looked tiny amongst them.
Dark magnetic teal fading into deep navy blue with black detailing and white accents.
It had been her dream bike for years.
She still couldn't quite believe it was hers.
"Lena!"
She turned to see three colleagues waving enthusiastically.
"Over here!"
She parked beside them, switched the engine off and climbed off the bike.
"I'm already nervous."
Jess laughed.
"Good."
"What?"
"It means you'll pay attention."
Ryan nudged her shoulder.
"Relax."
"They're honestly the nicest bunch you'll ever meet."
Lena looked around.
"How am I supposed to remember everyone?"
"You won't."
"Nobody does."
The whole group laughed.
Within minutes she was shaking gloved hands and hearing names she'd instantly forgotten.
Everyone looked identical.
Black jackets.
Black boots.
Dark visors.
She couldn't even tell who was speaking half the time.
"This is impossible."
Jess grinned.
"Exactly."
Chapter 2
A riders' briefing began.
Routes.
Fuel stops.
Coffee break.
Lunch.
Safety reminders.
Then...
Everyone climbed onto their bikes.
Helmets clicked shut.
Engines came alive.
The car park transformed into a sea of headlights.
Lena's stomach fluttered.
Ryan rode beside her.
"You'll be paired on intercom today."
"So if you need anything..."
"...just ask."
A voice suddenly crackled through her helmet speakers.
"Morning."
She jumped.
"Oh!"
A soft chuckle answered.
"Sorry."
"I forgot this was your first club ride."
She laughed.
"You scared me."
"My apologies."
"I'm Mason."
"Lena."
"You alright?"
"I think so."
"I've never ridden with thirty other bikes before."
"You'll love it."
"You'll stop noticing everyone else after ten minutes."
"I hope so."
The ride began.
Within half an hour...
They were chatting like old friends.
Favourite food.
Holiday destinations.
Funny childhood stories.
The fact she'd once accidentally dyed her hair green trying to save money.
He laughed so hard she could hear him trying not to.
"You actually went to work like that?"
"It wasn't intentional!"
"I'm glad I wasn't there."
"Oh, everyone else was."
She groaned.
"I still get reminded every Christmas."
Hours passed.
The roads twisted through countryside she'd never explored before.
Without realising...
She'd stopped feeling nervous.
Chapter 3
The ride ended beside a beautiful lakeside country pub.
Bikes lined every corner of the car park.
Someone shouted,
"Anyone getting changed, toilets are inside."
Half the group disappeared carrying backpacks.
Lena looked down at herself.
Black textile jacket.
Protective trousers.
Boots.
She definitely wasn't staying dressed like this.
Ten minutes later...
She stepped out of the ladies'.
Her long naturally curly hair, dampened slightly with water, now tumbled down her back almost to her waist.
She'd changed into a flowing modest floral summer dress and comfortable wedge sandals.
She smiled.
Much better.
As she walked into the garden...
Several conversations paused.
One of her work friends whispered,
"I told you."
Lena frowned.
"Told me what?"
"You'd turn heads."
She rolled her eyes.
"Behave."
Then came the problem.
She looked around the garden.
"Oh no..."
Jess laughed.
"What?"
"I don't know who anyone is."
The girls burst into laughter.
Of course she didn't.
She'd spent the entire day talking to people whose faces she'd never seen.
She wandered over to the bikes.
Pointing discreetly.
"Whose bike is this?"
"No idea."
"What about that one?"
"No."
"This blue BMW?"
"Nope."
She laughed.
"This is ridiculous."
Then she stopped beside a gorgeous dark grey sports bike parked next to hers.
"I really hope this belongs to the guy I was talking to."
A warm voice behind her replied,
"It does."
She turned.
Standing there...
Was the rider she'd spent the whole day laughing with through her helmet.
He smiled.
"I suppose we should introduce ourselves properly."
"I'm Mason."
For a second...
She simply stared.
Not because he was handsome.
Although he definitely was.
It was because the face somehow matched the voice perfectly.
Warm eyes.
Easy smile.
Kind.
The sort of person who immediately put others at ease.
She smiled back.
"Lena."
He looked at her bike.
"So..."
"That's yours?"
She nodded proudly.
"The teal R1."
He grinned.
"I had a feeling."
"You did?"
"You ride exactly like your bike looks."
She laughed.
"I have absolutely no idea what that means."
"It means..."
"...calm."
"...confident."
"...and just a little bit stubborn."
She raised an eyebrow.
"You figured all that out from one ride?"
"No."
He smiled.
"From one conversation."
And somehow...
That compliment meant more to Lena than if he'd simply called her beautiful.
Chapter 4
The evening slipped by in easy conversation.
Mason introduced her to people she'd already met that morning.
"This is Ben."
"We've already met."
"You have?"
"I think so."
Ben laughed.
"We've all had helmets on."
Another rider pointed towards the bikes.
"I know everyone by their motorcycle."
Lena smiled.
"Honestly..."
"...same."
By the end of the evening she'd learnt far more bike names than people's names.
Blue GS.
Red Ducati.
Silver Triumph.
Black Harley.
It somehow felt easier.
Chapter 5
The following Sunday, the club met again.
This time Lena wasn't nearly as nervous.
She recognised bikes before people.
"There he is..."
Jess looked around.
"Who?"
"The dark grey Yamaha."
Jess laughed.
"You've started doing it too."
Lena grinned.
"I told you."
"It's easier."
As Mason rolled into the car park he gave a small wave before removing his helmet.
She smiled back without even realising she was doing it.
Ryan nudged Jess.
"I reckon that's going somewhere."
Jess smiled.
"So do I."
Chapter 6
The ride took them along winding coastal roads.
The sea sparkled beside them.
Every stop brought more laughter.
More stories.
More teasing.
At lunch Mason sat opposite Lena.
"So..."
"What made you buy an R1?"
She smiled.
"My dad always loved motorbikes."
"He never owned one."
"But we'd watch races together."
"I promised myself that one day..."
"...I'd own the bike we both loved."
He smiled.
"I think he'd be proud."
She looked down for a moment.
"I hope so."
Chapter 7
A month passed.
Sunday rides became the highlight of Lena's week.
She found herself looking forward to seeing one bike in particular.
Not the rider.
The bike.
Or so she kept telling herself.
One morning Mason arrived late.
She caught herself searching the car park.
Jess noticed.
"Waiting for someone?"
"No."
"You're a terrible liar."
Chapter 8
Halfway through the ride the heavens opened.
Rain poured.
The group pulled beneath an old stone bridge.
Everyone laughed as they peeled off soaked gloves.
Mason handed Lena a flask.
"Tea?"
"You carry tea?"
"Always."
She smiled.
"I think that's the most attractive thing I've seen all day."
He laughed.
"The bike doesn't impress you?"
"The tea wins."
Chapter 9
The club organised a weekend charity ride.
Hundreds of bikes.
Families lining the roads.
Children waving.
At every stop riders collected donations for a children's hospice.
Lena watched Mason quietly chatting to a little boy fascinated by motorcycles.
He removed his helmet and carefully let the boy sit on his bike.
No fuss.
No attention.
Just kindness.
She smiled to herself.
Maybe...
She hadn't only noticed his bike anymore.
Chapter 10
As the sun began to set, the club gathered at a viewpoint overlooking the valley.
Helmets rested beside them.
The world glowed orange and gold.
Lena stood beside her bike.
"I never expected this."
Mason looked at her.
"The riding?"
She shook her head.
"The people."
"I thought I'd just be joining a bike club."
He smiled.
"And?"
"I think..."
"...I've found something much better."
He looked around at everyone laughing together.
"I know exactly what you mean."
Neither of them said it aloud.
But somewhere between winding roads, shared cups of tea, and conversations through helmet intercoms...
A friendship had quietly begun to turn into something more. ❤️
Chapter 11
The following month, the club announced its biggest ride of the summer.
A three day tour through the mountains.
Lena hesitated.
She'd never ridden that far before.
"You've got this," Jess encouraged.
"I'm not sure."
"You rode further than that on your second week."
"That was different."
Mason wandered over carrying two coffees.
"You thinking about the mountain tour?"
She nodded.
"I'm nervous."
He smiled.
"Good."
She laughed.
"Why does everyone keep saying that?"
"Because nervous riders prepare."
"Overconfident riders don't."
She smiled.
"Will you ride with me?"
He looked at her for a second.
"The whole way."
Without hesitation.
Chapter 12
The mountain roads were breathtaking.
Hairpin bends.
Crystal blue lakes.
Tiny villages tucked between rolling hills.
Lena couldn't stop smiling.
Every time they stopped...
Someone had another funny story.
Another photo.
Another memory.
That evening they arrived at a cosy lodge overlooking the valley.
As the sun disappeared behind the mountains, the group gathered around a fire pit.
Someone passed around marshmallows.
Another brought out a guitar.
Lena sat beside Mason.
"I never imagined bikers were like this."
"What did you imagine?"
"Leather jackets."
"Tough faces."
"Lots of shouting."
He laughed.
"And?"
"They're basically one big family."
He smiled.
"Exactly."
Chapter 13
The next morning, Lena was fastening her helmet when Mason walked over.
"Fancy leading today?"
Her eyes widened.
"What?"
"You've earned it."
"I'll get everyone lost."
"No."
"You won't."
She looked around.
Thirty riders were waiting.
She laughed nervously.
"If this goes wrong..."
"...I'm blaming you."
He grinned.
"I'll accept full responsibility."
As they set off, she glanced in her mirrors.
Thirty motorcycles followed behind.
For the first time...
She didn't feel like the new rider anymore.
She felt like she belonged.
Chapter 14
The weeks passed quickly.
Sunday rides became coffee after rides.
Coffee became weekday messages.
Weekday messages became phone calls.
Neither of them noticed when they stopped only talking about bikes.
Instead...
They spoke about dreams.
Family.
Favourite places.
Life.
One evening Mason sent her a message.
Fancy a ride after work?
She smiled before replying.
Always.
Chapter 15
One warm Friday evening they rode to a viewpoint overlooking the sea.
Helmets rested beside them.
The world glowed orange beneath the setting sun.
Lena leaned against her bike.
"I used to think buying this bike was the brave thing."
Mason looked at her.
"And now?"
"I think joining the club was."
He smiled.
"I'm glad you did."
"So am I."
The silence between them felt peaceful.
Neither hurried to fill it.
Chapter 16
A charity open day brought hundreds of visitors.
Children sat on bikes.
Families explored the displays.
Lena noticed a little girl staring at her motorcycle.
"Do you like bikes?"
The girl nodded shyly.
"My dad says girls don't ride sports bikes."
Lena smiled.
She crouched beside her.
"They absolutely do."
The little girl's face lit up.
"Really?"
"Really."
She lifted the child onto the stationary bike while her parents took photographs.
Across the car park...
Mason watched quietly.
Jess nudged him.
"You're smiling."
"I know."
"You've got it bad."
He laughed.
"I think I have."
Chapter 17
Summer slowly drifted into autumn.
The roads became quieter.
The air cooler.
The scenery somehow even more beautiful.
One Sunday, rain forced the group into a tiny café.
Only one table remained.
Lena and Mason squeezed into it together.
Their knees bumped beneath the table.
Both smiled awkwardly.
"Sorry."
"No..."
"You first."
They laughed.
The waitress looked between them.
"You two together?"
Both answered at exactly the same time.
"No."
The waitress smiled knowingly.
"If you say so."
Chapter 18
The annual club awards evening arrived.
Nothing formal.
Just laughter and funny certificates.
Jess stood up.
"Our next award..."
"...goes to someone who joined us this year."
Lena frowned.
"Surely not..."
"...Bluebird."
Everyone cheered.
She looked confused.
"Bluebird?"
Ryan laughed.
"Your bike."
"And the way you disappear around corners."
She laughed so hard she nearly cried.
"So that's what you've all been calling me?"
"For months."
She shook her head.
"I had no idea."
Mason smiled.
"I think it suits you."
Chapter 19
A crisp Sunday morning.
Just before setting off...
Mason walked over.
"I've got a question."
She smiled.
"Go on."
"Would you..."
He scratched the back of his neck.
"...like to go for a ride?"
She laughed.
"We're literally about to."
"I mean..."
He smiled sheepishly.
"...just us."
She pretended to think.
"Hmm..."
"I don't know."
His face dropped.
Then she burst into laughter.
"I'm joking."
"I'd love to."
He laughed in relief.
"That wasn't funny."
"It was a little bit."
Chapter 20
Their first official ride wasn't about speed.
Or distance.
Or ticking roads off a map.
They stopped whenever they wanted.
A tiny bakery.
A hidden lake.
An old stone bridge.
A field full of wildflowers.
They talked.
Laughed.
Shared sandwiches sitting beside their bikes.
As the sun began to set, they parked at the same lakeside pub where they'd first removed their helmets months before.
Lena smiled.
"I couldn't even recognise you that day."
"You asked whose bike was mine."
"I did."
"And now?"
She looked across at his dark grey Yamaha parked beside her magnetic teal R1.
"I'd recognise your bike anywhere."
He smiled.
"What about me?"
She stepped a little closer.
"I'd recognise you anywhere too."
For a moment...
Neither of them spoke.
Then Mason gently reached for her hand.
She intertwined her fingers with his.
No dramatic declaration.
No audience.
Just the soft sound of water against the shore and dozens of memories that had begun with two strangers talking through motorcycle helmets.
Lena looked out across the lake before smiling to herself.
Sometimes...
The best journeys weren't about the destination.
They were about the person who quietly rode beside you all along. ❤️










Comments
Post a Comment