THE BUMP IN THE ROAD

 



THE BUMP IN THE ROAD

Intro

Eight years.

That's how long Elodie spent building a future with someone who never intended to build one with her.

Together they'd left England behind and started a new life in Portugal.

A place filled with sunshine, little cafés, colourful streets and promises of forever.

When he later moved to Australia for work, it was only supposed to be temporary.

"We're doing this for us."

"We'll be together again soon."

"I can't wait to marry you."

He always knew exactly what to say.

Years passed.

The promises stayed the same.

The future never arrived.

When Elodie finally discovered he'd been seeing someone else, she expected heartbreak.

Instead...

She felt angry.

Not because he'd cheated.

Because she'd spent eight years choosing someone who had stopped choosing her a long time ago.

She'd built her entire life around another person.

His plans.

His dreams.

His future.

Somewhere along the way she'd forgotten to ask herself the most important question.

What do I actually want?

So she did something she'd never done before.

She blocked his number.

Deleted every social media account.

Changed her email.

Changed her phone number.

Started over.

No more waiting.

No more people pleasing.

No more putting everyone else first.

For the first time in years...

Elodie was finally living for herself.

Unfortunately...

Day three of her brand new life involved almost being knocked over by an impossibly handsome man on a motorbike.

And she definitely wasn't in the mood to accept his apology.

Neither of them realised it then...

But sometimes life has a funny way of interrupting the path you're on...

...just to steer you towards the one you were always meant to take.


Chapter 1

The message arrived at 2:17 am.

At first, Elodie almost ignored it.

It was from someone she didn't recognise.

Just six words.

I think you deserve to know.

Beneath it...

A photograph.

Her boyfriend.

Smiling.

His arm wrapped around another woman.

The timestamp was from two days earlier.

Sydney.

Australia.

For a long moment she simply stared.

Waiting for the heartbreak.

The tears.

The disbelief.

None of it came.

Instead...

She laughed.

A quiet, exhausted laugh.

Then she whispered to herself,

"Eight years."

Eight years of late night video calls.

Eight years of missed birthdays.

Eight years of waiting.

Eight years of promises that tomorrow would be different.

Tomorrow never came.

She closed the photo.

Blocked his number.

Then went back to bed.

By morning, the calls had already started.

She didn't answer a single one.


Chapter 2

By lunchtime she'd done something she never imagined she'd have the courage to do.

She erased him.

Phone number.

Blocked.

Email.

Deleted.

Social media.

Gone.

Every photograph.

Archived.

Then deleted again.

Just to make sure.

Her best friend Sofia arrived carrying two pastries.

"How are you?"

Elodie shrugged.

"I don't actually know."

"Wanna cry?"

"No."

"Wanna scream?"

"Maybe."

"Wanna throw something?"

Elodie smiled.

"That actually sounds quite therapeutic."

Sofia laughed.

"Come on."

They walked along the Portuguese promenade overlooking the sea.

The breeze lifted Elodie's hair.

"I thought I'd be devastated."

"You aren't?"

She shook her head.

"I'm furious."

"At him?"

"Mostly at myself."

Sofia frowned.

"Why?"

"I kept choosing someone who stopped choosing me years ago."

They walked in silence for a while.

Then Elodie stopped.

"You know what?"

"What?"

"I don't even know what I like anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I've spent so long planning my life around someone else's dreams..."

"...I forgot to have any of my own."


Chapter 3

Three days later...

Elodie made herself a promise.

No more waiting.

No more people pleasing.

No more living for someone else's plans.

If she wanted to visit somewhere...

She would.

If she wanted to try something...

She would.

If she wanted to stay in bed all day...

She would.

For the first time in years...

She was choosing herself.

That afternoon she left the little family café where she worked.

The owners waved as she left.

"See you tomorrow, querida!"

She smiled.

"See you!"

The café had become home.

The elderly couple who owned it treated her like family.

They never let her leave without food.

Or a hug.

Or both.

She smiled all the way down the street.

Then...

Tyres screeched.

Her shopping bag exploded.

Bright oranges bounced across the road.

A black motorbike stopped barely a metre away.

The rider jumped off immediately.

"Oh my goodness..."

"I'm so sorry!" 

He had kind brown eyes.

Genuine concern.

"Are you hurt?"

Elodie didn't answer.

Everything she'd bottled up over the past week erupted at once.

"You could have killed me!"

"I know, I..."

"You weren't paying attention!"

"I honestly didn't..."

"So because you're riding a motorbike you think the road belongs to you?"

Several people turned to look.

The young man ignored them.

He crouched, gathering her shopping.

"I'm really sorry."

She snatched the bag from his hands.

"Keep your apology."

Without another glance, she stormed away.

Leaving one very confused motorcyclist standing in the middle of the street.


Chapter 4

Elias watched her disappear into the crowd.

He blinked.

His friend Mateo walked over from the pavement.

"You alright?"

"I think so."

"What happened?"

"I clipped her shopping."

Mateo looked down at the scattered oranges.

"Ouch."

"I honestly didn't even see her until she stepped out."

"You nearly hit her?"

"No."

"Almost."

"But close enough."

Mateo nodded.

"And she shouted?"

"For about two minutes."

He sighed.

"I deserved some of it."

Mateo clapped him on the shoulder.

"You did."

"But..."

"I don't think that was entirely about you."

Elias looked towards the end of the street where she'd disappeared.

"I don't think so either."

For reasons he couldn't explain...

He hoped she was okay.


Chapter 5

Saturday arrived warm and cloudless.

Sofia pulled into Elodie's apartment car park just after nine.

"Ready?"

"For what?"

"The waterfall."

Elodie laughed.

"I've never jumped off a cliff before."

"Neither have I."

"So why are we doing it?"

Sofia smiled.

"Because six months ago you'd have said no."

Elodie looked out of the window.

She was right.

Six months ago she'd have stayed home waiting for a video call that never came.

Today...

She wanted to live.

An hour later they reached the beautiful waterfall.

Crystal clear water sparkled beneath the morning sun.

People laughed.

Swam.

Jumped from the rocks.

Elodie stood at the edge.

"This is insane."

"You've got this!"

She took one deep breath.

Jumped.

The cold water wrapped around her.

She burst back to the surface laughing uncontrollably.

"I actually did it!"

Sofia cheered.

"I told you!"

Elodie swam beneath the waterfall.

The icy water crashed over her oversized T shirt, worn over her swimming costume.

The sunshine warmed her face while the waterfall cooled her shoulders.

She closed her eyes.

Smiled.

And for the very first time in years...

She felt completely free.

She had no idea someone standing further up on the rocks had quietly noticed the woman laughing beneath the waterfall.

Or that, within minutes...

Their paths were about to cross again.


Chapter 6

Elias had always loved the waterfall.

Not because people jumped from the cliffs.

Because everyone looked different there.

The loud ones became quiet.

The nervous ones became brave.

The busy ones forgot about their phones.

It reminded people how to simply exist.

He'd been talking with Mateo when movement on the highest rock caught his attention.

A young woman stood looking down at the water.

She wore an oversized T shirt over her swimming costume while everyone around her wore much less.

She wasn't trying to draw attention to herself.

If anything...

She looked as though she hoped nobody was watching.

Then she smiled.

Took one deep breath.

And jumped.

Elias found himself grinning.

"Good for her."

She surfaced moments later laughing so hard she could barely catch her breath.

The sound carried across the water.

He couldn't help smiling.

Whoever she was...

She had a beautiful laugh.

She disappeared beneath the waterfall, letting the water cascade over her shoulders.

The sunlight caught the spray around her like tiny diamonds.

For a second...

She genuinely looked happy.

Then someone shouted.

"Elodie!"

She turned.

Her foot slipped.

The wet rock disappeared beneath her.

She crashed sideways into the water.

Several people laughed, assuming she'd simply lost her footing.

Elias didn't.

She hadn't resurfaced.

His stomach dropped.

"She's not coming up."

Without another thought he dived in.


Chapter 7

The water was colder than he expected.

He opened his eyes beneath the surface.

There.

Her hair floated around her as she struggled to push herself upwards.

One foot was caught between two rocks.

He reached her in seconds.

She looked startled.

He freed her foot and wrapped one arm around her.

Then kicked hard towards the surface.

The moment they broke through, people around them clapped, believing it had all been part of the excitement.

Elias wasn't smiling.

"You alright?"

She coughed once before nodding.

Then...

She finally looked at him.

Brown eyes met his.

Recognition flickered across his face.

It was her.

The girl with the oranges.

Of course.

The helmet.

That's why she hadn't recognised him.

Before he could say anything, whistles echoed from nearby rocks.

"Oooo!"

"Hero!"

Elodie immediately stiffened.

She pulled away from him.

"What are you doing?"

He blinked.

"...Saving you."

"I wasn't drowning."

"You were under for ages."

"Well, you thought wrong."

She pushed through the water towards the bank.

Climbed out awkwardly.

Then hissed as she looked down.

A long graze ran across the back of her leg.

She wrapped her towel around herself and limped away.

Her friend hurried after her.

"Elodie!"

She turned.

"I'm sorry."

"I've just... I've got to go."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

She shook her head.

"No."

"You stay."

"I'm fine."

She wasn't.

But she couldn't bear another person trying to rescue her.


Chapter 8

Elias stood watching her disappear.

Confused.

Mateo walked over dripping wet.

"What just happened?"

"I honestly don't know."

A young woman approached him.

It was Elodie's friend.

She smiled apologetically.

"I'm Sofia."

"Elias."

"I'm really sorry."

"You've got nothing to apologise for."

"No..."

"I sort of do."

She glanced towards the car park where Elodie had disappeared.

"She isn't normally like that."

He stayed quiet.

Sofia sighed.

"She only recently got out of an eight year relationship."

"He cheated."

"He manipulated her for years."

"She spent so long depending on herself that now she doesn't know how to let anyone help."

Elias looked towards the empty path.

His heart softened instantly.

"So..."

Sofia smiled sadly.

"If she bites your head off..."

"...please don't take it personally."

He nodded.

"I won't."

That evening...

Elias found himself thinking about her.

Not because she'd shouted.

Twice.

Not because she'd pushed him away.

But because...

For one brief moment beneath the water...

She'd looked frightened.

Then she'd immediately hidden it.


Chapter 9

Back at her apartment, Elodie carefully cleaned the graze on her leg.

It stung.

A lot.

She sat on the bathroom floor staring at the plaster she'd just applied.

"What is wrong with me?"

She hadn't even thanked him.

He'd literally jumped into freezing water for her.

And she'd shouted.

This was the second time she had shouted at a stranger.

She groaned and buried her face in her hands.

"I'm becoming impossible."

Her phone buzzed.

It was Sofia.

You okay? ❤️

Elodie replied.

Yeah. Just embarrassed.

A moment later another message arrived.

He seemed really nice.

Elodie sighed.

That's the problem.

She wasn't angry with him.

She was angry that every time someone tried to help...

Her instinct was to push them away before they had the chance to hurt her.

The next morning she limped into the little café.

Maria, the owner, immediately noticed.

"My goodness!"

"What happened?"

"Waterfall."

Maria raised an eyebrow.

"I don't even want to know."

Elodie laughed.

"No..."

"You probably don't."


Chapter 10

Life slowly returned to normal.

Or as normal as it could.

Mornings at the café.

Walks along the marina.

Evenings watching the sunset from her apartment balcony.

The fresh start she'd promised herself had finally begun.

Then one Friday evening Sofia dragged her into a small local restaurant.

"You need to socialise."

"I socialise every day."

"You serve coffee."

"That counts."

"It absolutely does not."

They laughed as they found a table.

Halfway through ordering, someone spoke behind her.

"Excuse me..."

She turned.

And froze.

The guy from the waterfall.

Holding two soft drinks and the same warm brown eyes.

She felt like she had seen them before the waterfall but couldn't quite remember where.

He smiled politely.

"Hi."

For the first time...

Elodie smiled back.

"I'm... really sorry."

He tilted his head.

"Which apology is this?"

She frowned.

"What?"

"I think you owe me three now."

She looked completely confused.

He chuckled.

"The bike."

Her eyes widened.

"Oh..."

"Oh no."

"It was you!"

He laughed.

"It was."

She covered her face with her hands.

"I've shouted at you twice."

"You have."

"I'm so sorry."

He smiled.

"I accept."

She lowered her hands.

"So..."

"Can we start again?"

Elias held out his hand.

"I'd like that."

She shook it.

"I'm Elodie."

"I know."

She frowned.

"You do?"

He smiled.

"Your friend shouted your name across an entire waterfall."

She laughed.

"I suppose she did."

For the first time since her relationship had ended...

Talking to someone new didn't feel exhausting.

It felt...

Easy.


Chapter 11

Over the next few weeks, Elodie and Elias kept bumping into each other.

Portugal suddenly felt very small.

The local bakery.

The Saturday market.

The beach promenade.

The tiny bookshop tucked between two colourful buildings.

Everywhere she went...

There he was.

Sometimes they spoke for five minutes.

Sometimes thirty.

Sometimes it was just a smile and a wave before they carried on with their day.

It was... effortless.

One afternoon Elias walked into the café where Elodie worked.

She looked up from the coffee machine.

"You again?"

He smiled.

"I promise I'm not following you."

She folded her arms dramatically.

"That's exactly what someone following me would say."

Maria laughed from behind the counter.

"Elodie, are you going to serve the poor man or interrogate him?"

Elias chuckled.

"I'll take whichever comes first."

Elodie smiled despite herself.

"What can I get you?"

"A hot chocolate."

"No coffee?"

"I've never liked it."

She looked genuinely surprised.

"I thought I was the only adult who preferred hot chocolate."

"I'll pretend you didn't just call me old."

She laughed.

Their conversation flowed naturally while she made his drink.

When she placed it on the counter, Maria leaned towards Elodie and whispered quietly,

"He's got kind eyes."

Elodie glanced at him.

He was thanking another customer who'd accidentally bumped into him.

She smiled to herself.

"Yeah..."

"He really does."


Chapter 12

Sunday morning brought another adventure.

Sofia arrived outside Elodie's apartment carrying a picnic basket.

"We're going paddleboarding."

Elodie blinked.

"We're what?"

"You said yes yesterday."

"I thought you were joking."

"I never joke about paddleboards."

Halfway through the morning they spotted Elias and Mateo unloading kayaks nearby.

Elias waved.

"What are the chances?"

Sofia grinned.

"I think Portugal is officially the smallest country on Earth."

The four of them spent the day on the water.

Laughing whenever someone nearly fell in.

Telling stories.

Watching fish dart beneath the crystal clear surface.

By lunchtime they sat together eating sandwiches on a quiet little beach.

Conversation drifted from travel...

To childhood memories...

To dreams.

"I've always wanted to ride a motorbike."

The words escaped Elodie's mouth before she realised.

Elias looked at her.

"Really?"

She nodded.

"I've always been too scared."

He smiled.

"I could teach you."

She immediately shook her head.

"No chance."

He laughed.

"I bet that's what you said before jumping off a cliff."

She opened her mouth.

Then closed it again.

"That's... actually a very good point."


Chapter 13

The following Saturday...

Elodie found herself standing nervously beside Elias's spare motorbike.

"I've changed my mind."

"No, you haven't."

"I definitely have."

He smiled.

"I'll be right beside you."

She looked at the bike.

Then at him.

"What if I fall?"

"I'll catch the bike."

She raised an eyebrow.

"And me?"

He smiled warmly.

"I was hoping that part was obvious."

For some reason...

Those words settled something inside her.

The first lesson was...

Terrible.

She stalled it.

Twice.

Forgot where the clutch was.

Nearly forgot to put her feet down when stopping.

And somehow managed to wobble across an empty car park at walking speed.

"I can't do this."

Elias laughed.

"That's the fifth time you've said that."

"I'm serious."

"I know."

"And you're still riding."

She looked down.

He was right.

She hadn't given up.

For the first time in a long time...

She was happy, like truly happy.


Chapter 14

The lessons became their favourite part of every week.

Soon they were riding quiet country roads together.

Past vineyards stretching across rolling hills.

Through tiny villages where elderly neighbours waved from their doorsteps.

Along winding coastal roads with breathtaking ocean views.

Every Sunday became known as...

"Let's see where this road goes."

Sometimes they ended up at hidden beaches.

Sometimes at mountain cafés serving homemade pastries.

Once they accidentally found a tiny village festival and spent the afternoon listening to local musicians.

Elodie had never laughed so much.

She realised something one evening as they sat watching the sun disappear into the Atlantic.

She hadn't thought about Australia all day.

Not once.

She hadn't checked her old emails.

Wondered what he was doing.

Or imagined what could have been.

Instead...

She'd been too busy living.

Elias looked across at her.

"You look happier."

She smiled softly.

"I think I finally am."


Chapter 15

Several months later they returned to the waterfall.

The same rocks.

The same crystal clear water.

The same place where everything had changed.

Elodie stood looking down at the jump.

"I don't think I can do it again."

"You don't have to."

"I know."

She smiled.

"That's why I think I want to."

She took a deep breath.

Then jumped.

The splash echoed through the valley.

She surfaced laughing.

This time she swam confidently back to the shore herself.

Elias was waiting on the rocks.

"You didn't rescue me."

He smiled.

"You didn't need rescuing."

She climbed out, brushing wet hair from her face.

"I think that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me."

He looked confused.

"What?"

"You trusted me."

He smiled gently.

"I always have."

For a brief moment neither spoke.

The waterfall thundered behind them.

The sun warmed their faces.

And without either of them realising it...

Their friendship had quietly become the safest place either of them had ever known.


Chapter 16

Spring arrived almost without either of them noticing.

The Sunday rides continued.

Sometimes they had a destination.

Most of the time...

They simply picked a road and followed it.

One weekend Elias led them high into the Portuguese mountains.

The roads twisted between forests before opening onto breathtaking viewpoints overlooking the coastline.

Elodie removed her helmet.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this."

"The view?"

She smiled.

"The freedom."

He looked at her for a moment.

"You know..."

"The first time I met you..."

She groaned.

"If you mention oranges again..."

"I wasn't going to."

"You looked like someone carrying the weight of the world."

She looked out towards the horizon.

"I think I was."

"And now?"

She smiled.

"Now I only carry snacks."

He laughed so hard he nearly dropped his helmet.

That evening they sat watching the sunset.

No phones.

No distractions.

Just comfortable silence.

It was becoming their favourite kind of conversation.


Chapter 17

One afternoon Maria quietly called Elias over while Elodie was serving another customer.

"I need your help."

"Of course."

"The shelves in the café are falling apart."

He smiled.

"I'll come after closing."

That evening he arrived with a toolbox.

Within an hour he'd repaired the shelves, fixed a wobbly table, replaced a broken cupboard hinge and even adjusted the café door that had been sticking for months.

Maria folded her arms.

"You are not leaving without dinner."

"I couldn't possibly..."

"You absolutely could."

"Okay, you convinced me."

They all laughed.

After closing time the four of them sat eating homemade Portuguese food around the little café table.

Maria watched Elias and Elodie laughing together.

She smiled knowingly.

"You two make this place happier."

Elodie almost choked on her drink.

"We're just friends."

Maria raised an eyebrow.

"So were me and my husband."

Nobody said another word.

The silence that followed somehow said everything.


Chapter 18

Summer returned.

Almost a year had passed since the oranges rolled across the road.

Elodie had changed.

Not because of Elias.

Because she'd finally become herself again.

She smiled more.

Laughed louder.

Said yes to adventures.

Said no without feeling guilty.

She no longer apologised for taking up space.

One Sunday they stopped beside a field of wildflowers overlooking the sea.

Elias lay back on the grass.

"What are you thinking about?"

Elodie looked up at the clouds.

"I used to think happiness was waiting for someone."

"And now?"

"I think happiness is becoming someone."

He turned towards her.

"I like that."

She smiled.

"I do too."

Their hands rested on the grass only inches apart.

A breeze brushed through the flowers.

Slowly...

Almost without thinking...

Their little fingers touched.

Neither moved away.

Neither needed to.

Sometimes the smallest gestures said the biggest things.


Chapter 19

The following Friday evening the whole town gathered for the annual summer festival.

Music filled the streets.

Families danced.

Children chased bubbles through the square.

Food stalls lined every corner.

Elodie and Elias wandered through it all together.

At one stall he won a small stuffed orange in a ring toss.

He handed it to her.

She laughed until tears filled her eyes.

"You really are never letting the oranges go, are you?"

"Never."

She shook her head.

"I think they're my favourite memory now."

He looked surprised.

"Really?"

"If I'd caught the bus five minutes earlier..."

"If you'd taken a different street..."

"If I'd never met you..."

She smiled.

"My life would look completely different."

He looked at her quietly.

"So would mine."

As fireworks lit the sky above them, Sofia caught Maria watching the two of them.

"They're in love."

Maria smiled.

"They just haven't realised they're both standing in the same chapter yet."


Chapter 20

Exactly one year after their first meeting...

Elias asked Elodie to go for one last ride.

No destination.

Just them.

They followed the coastal road until they reached the very street where oranges had once rolled across the pavement.

He switched off the engine.

"So..."

She smiled.

"So..."

"I've been wanting to ask you something."

"I know."

"You do?"

"You've looked nervous for at least twenty minutes."

He laughed.

"I thought I was hiding it."

"You weren't."

He reached into the small storage compartment of the motorbike.

Elodie laughed before he'd even taken anything out.

"Please tell me..."

He held up a little paper bag.

Inside...

One perfectly round orange.

She burst into laughter.

"You actually brought one?"

"I couldn't think of a better reminder of where all this started."

She took the orange from him.

Rolled it gently between her hands.

Then looked up at him.

"I'm really glad you bumped into me."

Elias smiled.

"I'm really glad you shouted at me."

She laughed.

"I was awful."

"You were hurting."

"And you know what?"

"What?"

"I'm glad I waited until you were ready to let someone in."

Her smile softened.

"You never tried to fix me."

"No."

"You never pushed."

"No."

"You just... stayed."

He nodded.

"I figured you'd spent long enough chasing someone."

"I wanted to be someone worth walking beside instead."

A tear escaped before she could stop it.

Not because she was sad.

Because for the first time in a very long time...

She felt completely safe.

She slipped her hand into his.

No grand declarations.

No dramatic speeches.

Just two people standing beside the road where fate had quite literally bumped them together.

Sometimes love doesn't arrive with fireworks.

Sometimes it arrives with patience.

With friendship.

With Sunday road trips.

With quiet moments overlooking the sea.

And sometimes...

It begins with a few scattered oranges, a heartfelt apology, and the courage to start living for yourself before letting someone else become part of the journey.

Comments

Popular Posts