THE WEDNESDAY BETWEEN US
THE WEDNESDAY BETWEEN US
Intro
The first time Maya saw him, she smiled.
The second time, he saved her life.
Neither of them expected to spend the next year together.
It started with a quiet evening at an outdoor restaurant.
A glance across a crowded terrace.
A stranger with kind eyes.
A blush.
Then gunshots shattered everything.
As panic swept through the streets, Maya's instincts told her to run.
She grabbed her friends without hesitation, trusting a feeling she couldn't explain.
Moments later, a handsome stranger reached for her hand, pulled her to safety and, in the middle of unimaginable chaos, showed her a small act of respect she'd never forget.
He turned away while helping her climb to safety.
It was such a tiny gesture.
Yet somehow it stayed with her longer than the sound of the gunshots.
Sheltering inside the flat of a lonely elderly widow, three strangers became unexpected friends.
Every Wednesday, they returned.
Not because they had to.
Because they wanted to.
They repaired shelves.
Cooked meals.
Shared tea.
Played card games.
Laughed until their stomachs hurt.
Slowly, one Wednesday became another.
Friendship quietly grew into something deeper.
Not through grand romantic gestures.
But through kindness.
Patience.
Respect.
And the tiny moments that most people never notice.
Neither of them realised they were falling in love.
Perhaps everyone else did.
Especially the sweet little old lady who never stopped insisting they were perfect for each other.
Sometimes the greatest love stories don't begin with a first kiss.
Sometimes...
They begin with someone reaching out a hand and saying,
"Run."
🎧 Prefer listening? Pop the kettle on, get comfy, and press play to hear the story introduction and Chapter One before you continue reading.
Chapter 1
The evening had been perfect.
Warm enough for people to eat outside.
Strings of golden fairy lights stretched above the restaurant terrace, while the gentle sound of conversation blended with soft music drifting through the warm evening air.
Maya stepped through the entrance alone.
Her friends, Emma and Zoe, were running late.
Again.
She smiled to herself as she adjusted the sleeve of her modest sage green midi dress. It had long sleeves, a flowing skirt and a fitted waist, comfortable enough for a summer evening but elegant enough for dinner. Her copper red butterfly haircut framed her freckled face perfectly, soft layers catching the warm breeze as she walked.
She looked around for the table that had been booked.
Then it happened.
Across the terrace, a man looked up from his conversation.
Their eyes met.
Just for a second.
He was handsome.
Dark wavy hair.
Kind brown eyes.
Smartly dressed in a navy shirt with the sleeves rolled neatly to his forearms.
He wasn't staring.
Just... noticing her.
Heat rushed into Maya's cheeks.
She immediately looked away.
Don't look back.
She kept walking towards her table, pretending nothing had happened, even though she could still feel herself smiling.
Why am I blushing?
She sat down facing away from him, refusing to turn around.
She wasn't about to see whether he'd looked again.
Some mysteries were better left alone.
Or so she thought.
Twenty minutes later, Emma and Zoe arrived in a whirlwind of apologies.
"We're so sorry!"
"There was traffic."
"And then Emma couldn't decide which shoes..."
Emma rolled her eyes.
"Traitor."
Within moments they were laughing.
Menus arrived.
They chatted while waiting for their food.
Everything felt wonderfully ordinary.
None of them realised that before the starters arrived, their lives would change forever.
Chapter 2
The waitress had just taken their order when Maya noticed the girl.
She couldn't have been older than seventeen.
Mixed race.
Curly dark hair tied loosely behind her.
She sat completely alone at the table beside them.
No phone.
No book.
No food.
Just quietly staring ahead.
Not crying.
Not angry.
Simply... empty.
Maya found herself watching her every now and then.
Something didn't feel right.
She couldn't explain why.
Maybe she was waiting for someone.
Maybe she'd been stood up.
Maybe she was simply tired.
Still...
Something about her made Maya's heart ache.
"I hope she's okay," she murmured.
Emma glanced over.
"I'm sure she is."
Maya nodded.
She tried to believe that.
Then everything changed.
A man appeared from the far side of the restaurant.
Walking quickly.
Purposefully.
His face was tense.
His eyes fixed only on the teenage girl.
At first Maya assumed he was her father.
Or perhaps an older brother.
Then she noticed his right hand.
Held low against his leg.
A handgun.
Her stomach dropped.
Nobody else had seen it.
Not yet.
The man continued walking.
The girl looked up.
Every ounce of colour disappeared from her face.
She whispered one terrified word.
"Dad..."
Every instinct inside Maya screamed.
Run.
Chapter 3
Maya didn't stop to think.
She simply acted.
She grabbed Emma's wrist.
Then Zoe's.
"Get up."
"What?"
"Now."
"Maya..."
"Please."
Her voice had changed.
Quiet.
Urgent.
The sort of voice that made people listen.
"Don't ask questions."
"Just move."
Emma looked confused.
Zoe looked frightened.
But they trusted her.
All three stood together.
Trying not to attract attention.
Maya slipped off her heels without even thinking.
Barefoot would be faster.
"Walk."
They moved quickly through the crowded terrace.
Not running.
Not yet.
Just moving.
Fast.
As they walked, Maya discreetly caught the eyes of several nearby diners.
"Please... just leave."
She kept her voice barely above a whisper.
"Leave now."
Most people simply looked at her in confusion.
A few frowned.
One couple exchanged worried glances.
A family paused halfway through standing up.
Unsure whether to listen to this complete stranger or remain seated.
Maya couldn't stop to explain.
She couldn't risk shouting.
Panic was dangerous.
A stampede could hurt innocent people.
And there was still no certainty the man intended to use the gun.
She prayed she was wrong.
But she wasn't willing to gamble with her friends' lives.
The gunman still hadn't noticed them.
He remained completely focused on his daughter.
Ten metres.
Eight.
Six.
Maya's heartbeat thundered inside her chest.
Almost there.
Just...
Someone stepped into her path.
She collided straight into him.
Strong hands caught her before she fell.
The same man from earlier.
His eyebrows pulled together with concern.
"Are you alright?"
She looked straight into his eyes.
Panicked.
Breathless.
"Run."
He didn't hesitate.
Not for a second.
He looked at her face.
Then immediately took off beside them.
As though that single word was all he needed.
Behind them...
A deafening bang shattered the evening.
Then another.
Then screaming.
Real screaming.
The entire restaurant erupted into chaos.
As Maya ran, guilt stabbed at her chest.
She wished she'd managed to warn everyone.
She wished she'd had time.
But there hadn't been time.
Only choices.
And in moments like these, there was no such thing as a perfect one.
Chapter 4
People fled in every direction.
Tables overturned.
Plates crashed to the floor.
Children cried.
Someone shouted for everyone to get down.
Maya's feet pounded against the pavement as she pulled Emma and Zoe behind her.
Her lungs burned.
She refused to stop.
A block of flats appeared ahead.
Perfect.
"There!"
They sprinted towards it.
The ground floor balconies sat only a little above head height.
"If we can climb up..."
Without hesitating, Maya clasped her hands together.
"Emma, quick."
Emma stepped into Maya's hands.
Maya pushed upwards with everything she had.
Emma grabbed the balcony rail and hauled herself over.
"You next."
Zoe stepped onto Maya's hands.
Again, Maya pushed with all the strength she had until Zoe managed to scramble onto the balcony beside Emma.
Both girls immediately leaned over.
"Maya!"
"Give us your hand!"
Maya reached upwards.
She was just too low.
She tried again.
Nothing.
Her arms ached.
Emma stretched down as far as she could.
"We've nearly got you!"
Maya shook her head.
"No."
"What?"
"Just hide."
"Maya..."
"Please."
Tears filled Emma's eyes.
"We're not leaving you."
"You're not."
Maya forced a reassuring smile she didn't feel.
"I'll find somewhere else."
"But..."
"If he comes this way, I don't want him seeing where you've gone."
The words landed.
Emma understood immediately.
If all three of them stayed there trying to pull Maya up, they would draw attention straight to the balcony.
Maya stepped backwards.
"Please."
"Just stay down."
"Don't make a sound."
"I'll be okay."
Neither friend wanted to move.
But they trusted her.
Reluctantly, they disappeared behind the balcony wall.
Maya took a deep breath and hurried away from the balcony, desperately searching for another place to hide.
The gunshots had stopped.
Which somehow felt even worse.
Silence.
Then...
Footsteps.
Behind her.
She spun around.
The handsome stranger stood there.
"Quick."
He reached for her hand.
"This way."
Chapter 5
He led her around the side of the building, away from the chaos.
"There."
He pointed towards another ground floor balcony.
"This one's lower."
Before Maya could even respond, he clasped his hands together.
"I'll lift you."
She nodded.
Neither of them had time to overthink it.
She stepped onto his hands.
With one smooth movement, he lifted her upwards.
As she reached for the balcony railing, she noticed something.
He had turned his head completely away.
Looking towards the wall.
Giving her as much privacy as he possibly could.
Even now.
Even in the middle of absolute chaos.
Her dress had lifted slightly as she climbed, yet he hadn't looked once.
The tiny gesture caught her completely off guard.
What a gentleman...
It was such a small act of respect.
Yet somehow...
It told her more about him than hours of conversation ever could.
She pulled herself onto the balcony and immediately leaned back over the edge.
"Give me your hand!"
He looked up.
Instead of taking it, he stepped backwards.
Three paces.
Then suddenly sprinted forwards.
He planted one foot against the wall.
Pushed himself upwards.
Caught the balcony railing with both hands.
And, with surprising strength, pulled himself effortlessly over.
Maya couldn't help raising an eyebrow.
She was impressed.
Very impressed.
She opened her mouth to say something.
Then froze.
Voices echoed below.
Both of them instinctively crouched.
The gunman burst into view beneath the balcony.
The teenage girl was still with him.
He gripped her wrist tightly as she cried.
She didn't appear physically hurt.
Just terrified.
"I told you!" he shouted, his voice breaking.
"Nobody is taking my daughter away from me!"
Maya felt her chest tighten.
This wasn't a man looking for random victims.
This was a father whose desperation had become dangerously twisted.
It didn't make what he was doing right.
Not even close.
But for just a second...
She saw the heartbreak behind the anger.
She silently prayed the girl would be safe.
Neither she nor Ethan dared breathe.
Suddenly, the unmistakable sound of police vehicles filled the street.
Tyres screeched.
Car doors slammed.
Then loud voices echoed through the air.
"Armed police!"
"Drop the weapon!"
"Put the gun down!"
Within seconds officers surrounded him.
The teenager broke free and ran towards them.
The man looked around wildly before slowly lowering the gun.
Moments later he was on the ground in handcuffs.
It was over.
Maya hadn't realised she'd been holding her breath until it escaped in one long, shaky exhale.
Only then did she notice something else.
Ethan was standing directly in front of her.
So close that his body completely shielded hers from view.
Almost instinctively.
As though protecting her had become his only priority.
The moment he realised how close they were standing, he immediately stepped backwards.
His cheeks flushed slightly.
"I'm sorry."
Maya shook her head.
"You were just keeping me safe."
For a brief moment neither of them spoke.
Neither quite knew what to say after everything that had just happened.
Then...
The door leading onto the very balcony they were hiding on slowly opened.
An elderly lady peeked outside.
She looked from Maya...
To Ethan...
Then down towards the police below.
"Oh, you poor things."
Her face softened instantly.
"Quick."
She opened the door wider.
"Come inside."
Without needing to discuss it, Maya and Ethan quietly followed her into the safety of her little flat.
Chapter 6
The elderly lady hurried them into her cosy flat and quietly locked the door.
Only then did Maya realise how violently her hands were shaking.
The adrenaline that had carried her there was beginning to wear off.
"You poor things," the elderly lady said gently. "Come and sit down."
The stranger waited until Maya sat before taking the chair opposite her.
Again, she noticed it.
He always seemed to put everyone else first.
"I'm Margaret," the lady smiled warmly. "Most people just call me Maggie."
"I'm Maya."
The stranger nodded politely.
"I'm Ethan."
For the first time since they had met, she finally knew his name.
Ethan.
It suited him.
Margaret disappeared into the kitchen.
"I'm putting the kettle on. Nobody makes good decisions without a cup of tea."
Despite everything, Maya smiled.
"I don't think I've ever needed tea more."
A few minutes later they were sitting with mugs of tea and a plate of biscuits.
The room was completely silent.
Outside, sirens still echoed through the streets.
Maya stared into her tea.
"I keep thinking..."
Ethan looked at her.
"If I'd been wrong..."
She swallowed.
"If I'd made everyone run for nothing..."
Ethan shook his head immediately.
"You trusted your instincts."
"They saved lives."
Maya looked up.
"You don't know that."
"I do."
His voice was calm.
"If you'd hesitated, you wouldn't be sitting here."
Those words settled something inside her.
Not completely.
But enough for her to breathe a little easier.
Chapter 7
Just as the silence settled again, Maya's phone began vibrating.
She glanced at the screen.
Barry Calling...
Her stomach sank.
Margaret smiled kindly.
"Go on, dear. We'll give you a little privacy."
"It's okay."
Maya answered.
"Hello?"
"I've been trying to call you!"
His voice already sounded irritated.
"There was an incident at the restaurant."
"Don't be so dramatic."
"What?!"
Maya briefly explained what had happened.
The gunman.
The panic.
Running.
Hiding.
She barely reached the part about Ethan helping her before Barry interrupted.
"Who's Ethan?"
Maya blinked.
"He helped me."
"So you're alone with another man?"
She stared at the phone.
"I've just been through something traumatic."
"You never mentioned being with some bloke."
"Barry..."
"Don't 'Barry' me."
"You expect me to believe nothing happened?"
Maya couldn't believe what she was hearing.
Her eyes slowly filled with tears.
Not because she was scared anymore.
Because she was exhausted.
She had almost died.
And somehow...
He had made it about himself.
Chapter 8
The shouting continued.
Even though Maya had turned the volume almost all the way down.
The room was so quiet everyone could still hear.
"You've embarrassed me."
"I knew I couldn't trust you."
"I leave for university and this is what you do?"
Something inside Maya finally cracked.
Five years.
Five years of apologising.
Five years of defending herself.
Five years of wondering whether she was always the problem.
Not anymore.
She wiped away a tear.
"Barry."
"What?"
"I'm done."
Silence.
"You don't mean that."
"I do."
"You'll regret this."
"No."
For the first time in years...
Her voice didn't shake.
"I won't."
She ended the call.
Immediately blocked his number.
Then opened her phone provider's app.
Within minutes she requested a new number.
Margaret watched quietly.
Proudly.
"Sometimes," she said softly, "the bravest thing we ever do... is walk away."
Maya nodded.
Then finally cried.
Not loud.
Not dramatically.
Just quietly.
As months of hurt poured out all at once.
Margaret wrapped her in a gentle hug.
"My dear."
"You've been carrying far too much."
Chapter 9
Nearly an hour later the tears had stopped.
Margaret handed Maya another tissue.
"You know..."
She smiled sadly.
"I recognise that look."
Maya looked up.
"What look?"
"The one where someone has spent years believing they're never quite enough."
The words landed heavily.
Because they were true.
Margaret sighed.
"My husband was like that."
Neither Maya nor Ethan spoke.
"He never hit me."
"But words..."
She looked out of the window.
"Words leave bruises people can't see."
The room fell silent.
"When he passed away..."
She smiled sadly.
"I realised I'd pushed everyone away."
"My friends."
"My neighbours."
"My family."
"When I finally wanted company..."
Most of them were gone.
Some had moved away.
Some had passed away.
Some simply thought she no longer wanted them.
"It gets lonely."
Very lonely."
Maya reached across the table and gently held her hand.
"You won't be lonely anymore."
Margaret blinked.
"What?"
"I'll come every Wednesday."
Margaret stared at her.
"You don't have to."
"I know."
"I want to."
Ethan smiled.
"So will I."
Both women looked at him.
He shrugged.
"Nobody should have to drink tea alone."
Margaret's eyes filled with tears.
"I think," she whispered.
"This might be the nicest day I've ever had."
Chapter 10
Later that evening the police confirmed it was safe for everyone to leave.
Before heading downstairs, Maya realised something.
"My friends!"
She laughed nervously.
"They don't have my new number."
She quickly dialed their number ans surprisingly she answered. Emma never answers numbers she doesn't recognise or have saved in her phone.
Within minutes they arranged to meet outside.
Relief washed over her.
Everything was finally beginning to settle.
She turned towards Margaret.
Without saying a word, she wrote her brand new number on a small piece of paper.
"If you ever need anything..."
She placed it gently into Margaret's hand.
"Anything at all."
"Call me."
Margaret folded the paper carefully.
"As long as you promise you'll still come on Wednesdays."
"I promise."
Ethan smiled.
"So do I."
The three of them walked downstairs together.
Outside, blue flashing lights still reflected across the street.
Emma and Zoe spotted Maya immediately and ran towards her.
They hugged tightly.
All three crying with relief.
A few moments later Maya turned back.
Ethan was still standing by the entrance to the flats.
Watching to make sure she was safe.
Their eyes met one last time.
Neither spoke.
Neither needed to.
She smiled.
He smiled back.
Then she climbed into her friend's car.
As they drove away, Maya glanced back through the window.
He was still there.
Watching until the car disappeared around the corner.
She couldn't explain why...
But something told her that this was just the beginning of something special.
In fact...
She already found herself looking forward to Wednesday.
Chapter 11
The first Wednesday arrived quicker than Maya expected.
She parked outside Margaret's little cottage carrying a homemade lemon drizzle cake.
She stood at the front door for a moment.
I hope she remembered.
Before she could knock, the door flew open.
"There you are!"
Margaret beamed.
"I've been looking out of the window for the last twenty minutes."
Maya laughed.
"You said one o'clock."
"I know."
"I got excited."
They hugged warmly before stepping inside.
The house already smelled of fresh tea and baking.
A few moments later another knock echoed through the hallway.
Margaret's smile widened.
"That'll be Ethan."
Maya suddenly felt strangely nervous.
Margaret opened the door.
"Right on time."
Ethan stepped inside carrying a large toolbox in one hand and a paper bag in the other.
"I brought fresh bread from the bakery."
"And cinnamon buns."
Margaret clasped her hands together.
"Oh, you're both determined to spoil me."
For a brief second Ethan and Maya looked at one another.
Both smiled.
Neither said anything.
Somehow...
It felt completely natural.
The afternoon disappeared surprisingly quickly.
Ethan repaired a kitchen cupboard that had refused to close for years.
Maya organised Margaret's overflowing bookshelf.
Together they laughed over old family photographs, listened to Margaret's stories about growing up, and somehow managed to burn the first batch of biscuits.
"It wasn't me," Ethan insisted.
"It was definitely you," Maya laughed.
Margaret watched them with the biggest smile.
"I've never seen two people argue so politely."
Both of them blushed.
Chapter 12
The Wednesdays quietly became a tradition.
No messages needed.
No reminders.
Every Wednesday at one o'clock, they simply arrived.
Sometimes Maya brought homemade food.
Sometimes Ethan fixed something around the house.
Sometimes they did both.
One week they painted Margaret's old garden bench.
Another week they planted colourful flowers together.
The following Wednesday they built raised planters for herbs.
Margaret insisted on helping.
Although her "help" mostly involved supervising from a chair with a cup of tea.
"I'm quality controlling," she announced proudly.
Ethan laughed.
"I think that means we're being watched."
"You absolutely are."
As they worked outside, Maya reached for a paintbrush at exactly the same moment Ethan did.
Their fingertips brushed.
Barely.
Both instinctively pulled away.
"Oh... sorry."
"You first."
"No, you."
For a moment they simply stood there smiling awkwardly.
Margaret noticed.
Of course she noticed.
She quietly hid her smile behind her teacup.
Chapter 13
As the months passed, Maya began looking forward to Wednesdays more than any other day of the week.
Not because of the jobs.
Not even because of Margaret.
Although she adored her.
It was the feeling.
The peace.
There was never any pressure.
No pretending.
No games.
Just conversation.
One rainy afternoon the three of them sat indoors completing a thousand piece jigsaw puzzle.
Margaret claimed she was brilliant at puzzles.
She wasn't.
She kept trying to force pieces into places they clearly didn't belong.
"They'll fit eventually."
"They won't," Ethan laughed.
"They're determined."
Maya burst into laughter.
"I think you're both impossible."
Later, while putting pieces back into the box, Ethan quietly noticed Maya struggling to reach the top shelf.
Without saying a word, he simply stood beside her, took the box, placed it gently onto the shelf, then stepped back.
No fuss.
No showing off.
Just another tiny act of kindness.
She noticed every single one.
Chapter 14
One Wednesday, Margaret disappeared upstairs for almost twenty minutes.
Maya frowned.
"Do you think she's okay?"
Ethan smiled knowingly.
"I think she's giving us time alone."
Right on cue Margaret called from upstairs.
"I'm looking for something!"
Maya raised an eyebrow.
"For twenty minutes?"
"I've got a lot of drawers!"
Ethan laughed.
Maya couldn't help laughing too.
The house suddenly felt very quiet.
"So..."
Ethan began.
"So..."
She replied.
"I've been meaning to ask..."
Maya looked up.
"What book are you reading at the moment?"
She blinked.
Then laughed.
"I thought it was going to be something serious."
"It was serious."
"Books are serious."
They spent the next half hour recommending novels to one another.
Neither noticed Margaret smiling to herself from halfway down the staircase.
"They're hopeless," she whispered.
Absolutely hopeless.
Chapter 15
Nearly ten months had passed since the restaurant.
The frightening memories had softened.
But the Wednesdays remained.
They had become part of all three of their lives.
One crisp autumn afternoon they finished hanging new curtains in Margaret's living room.
She stepped back to admire them.
"Perfect."
Then she looked from Maya...
To Ethan...
Then back again.
"I've been thinking."
Both of them immediately became suspicious.
"Oh dear," Ethan laughed.
Margaret folded her arms.
"You know..."
"I've lived a long time."
"Long enough to recognise when two people look at each other the way you two do."
Both of them froze.
"We don't..."
Maya began.
"...look at each other," Ethan finished.
Margaret burst into laughter.
"Oh, my dears."
"You've been looking at each other for almost a year."
Silence.
Maya looked at Ethan.
At exactly the same moment...
He looked at her.
They both realised what had just happened.
Then immediately looked away.
Margaret laughed even harder.
"I rest my case."
For the remainder of the afternoon neither of them could quite look the other in the eye for more than a second without smiling.
And although neither would admit it...
From that Wednesday onwards, something had quietly changed between them.
Not dramatically.
Not suddenly.
Just enough for both of them to begin wondering whether perhaps...
Margaret had been right all along.
Chapter 16
A full year had almost passed.
Fifty two Wednesdays.
Not one had been missed.
Some were spent repairing shelves.
Others planting flowers.
One memorable afternoon involved Ethan attempting to assemble a flat pack bookcase without reading the instructions.
It collapsed.
Twice.
Margaret still brought it up whenever she wanted to tease him.
"You know," she smiled one afternoon.
"I've never met an architect who struggled so much with furniture."
"It was faulty."
"The instructions?"
"The furniture."
Maya laughed so hard she had to wipe away tears.
It was one of her favourite sounds now.
Laughing with them.
It felt like home.
As they packed away the tools, Ethan quietly picked up Maya's coat before she reached for it.
"You'll need this."
She smiled.
"Thank you."
"It'll be cold walking back."
Again.
One of those tiny things.
The sort nobody else would notice.
The sort Maya noticed every single time.
Before leaving, Margaret hugged them both.
Then, just as they reached the front door, she called after them.
"You know..."
Both turned.
"My birthday is next Wednesday."
"We know," Maya smiled.
Margaret folded her arms.
"I expect presents."
Ethan laughed.
"I thought spending time with you was the present."
"It is."
She grinned.
"But I also like chocolate."
Maya and Ethan walked towards their cars together.
For the first time all year, neither seemed in a hurry to leave.
"I'm looking forward to next week."
The words escaped Ethan before he could stop them.
Maya smiled.
"So am I."
Their eyes met.
A little longer than usual.
Neither looked away first.
Chapter 17
Margaret's birthday arrived bright and sunny.
Maya had baked her favourite Victoria sponge.
Ethan carried a beautifully wrapped parcel.
Together they knocked on the door.
No answer.
They exchanged worried glances.
Just as Ethan reached for his phone, the door opened.
"Surprise!"
Margaret laughed.
"You should have seen your faces."
"You nearly gave us heart attacks," Maya groaned.
"Worth it."
The afternoon was filled with laughter.
Cake.
Old photographs.
Stories from Margaret's childhood.
Then, as they finished lunch, Margaret quietly disappeared upstairs.
She returned carrying a small gift bag.
"This one's for you two."
They looked confused.
"It's my birthday, I know, but I want to give you both something."
"That doesn't seem right."
"It does in this house."
Inside each bag was a small leather notebook.
On the first page Margaret had written the same sentence.
"The best friendships are the ones that quietly become family."
Maya felt her throat tighten.
"So we write memories?" she asked.
Margaret nodded.
"Every Wednesday."
"I don't want either of you forgetting how much good you've brought into this house."
That evening, as Maya climbed into her car, she noticed Ethan smiling down at his notebook.
She smiled too.
Without saying a word.
Chapter 18
The following Wednesday felt different.
Not because anything had changed.
Because both of them had become aware that something had.
They were quieter.
Not awkward.
Just... thoughtful.
Margaret noticed immediately.
Of course she did.
Halfway through making tea she suddenly announced,
"I've forgotten the milk."
Ethan raised an eybrow.
"You have a whole full bottle in the fridge."
"Oh."
She smiled innocently.
"Perhaps I forgot something else."
Before either of them could answer, she disappeared upstairs.
Again.
Maya laughed.
"She's doing it on purpose."
"I know."
Silence settled between them.
Comfortable.
Then Ethan looked at her.
"Maya?"
"Yes?"
"I've wanted to ask you something for months."
Her heart immediately sped up.
Months?
He smiled nervously.
"The restaurant."
She blinked.
"What about it?"
"What made you tell me to run?"
She thought for a moment.
Then answered honestly.
"I trusted my instincts."
"And they told you to trust me too."
She looked into his kind brown eyes.
"I don't know why."
A small smile appeared.
"I'm glad they did."
"So am I."
Upstairs, Margaret smiled to herself.
"They're getting there."
Chapter 19
The following Wednesday was unexpectedly their last.
At least...
As Wednesdays.
Margaret called them into the living room.
She looked healthier than she had in months.
Happier too.
"I've got some news."
Both smiled.
"What is it?"
"My niece has asked me to move closer to her."
Maya's smile faltered.
"Oh."
"I've said yes."
Ethan nodded slowly.
"I'll miss you."
"So will I."
Margaret reached for both their hands.
"But that's exactly why I'm moving."
They looked puzzled.
"I've got my family back."
She squeezed their hands gently.
"You two gave me that."
"And now..."
She smiled knowingly.
"I think it's time you stop needing Wednesdays to see each other."
Neither spoke.
Because she was right.
Before they left, Margaret hugged them tightly.
Then quietly whispered to Ethan,
"It's about time."
"What is?"
"You ask for her number."
His cheeks immediately reddened.
Chapter 20
They walked slowly towards their cars.
Neither seemed ready to say goodbye.
The familiar Wednesday suddenly felt far too short.
Ethan stopped walking.
"Maya?"
She turned.
"Can I ask you something?"
She smiled.
"You already have."
He laughed softly.
"I know."
Then, taking a steady breath, he smiled.
"I was wondering..."
"If you'd be happy to give me your number."
She stared at him.
Then burst into laughter.
"You've waited almost a year."
"I know."
"I didn't want to seem like I was taking advantage."
"Especially after everything you'd just been through when we first met."
Maya's smile softened.
"I noticed."
He looked surprised.
"You did?"
"I noticed everything."
She took out her phone.
"So..."
"Are you finally ready?"
"I think I am."
They exchanged numbers.
Almost immediately after they walked away from each other, Maya's phone buzzed.
He had already sent a message.
Maya opened it.
Miss me already?
She laughed.
Then typed back.
You're the one who messaged me first. I think that means you miss me.
His phone buzzed.
He read it.
Looked up.
Grinning.
Then replied.
No comment.
They both laughed.
The butterflies she'd felt on the day they first met returned all at once.
Only this time...
They weren't built on mystery.
They were built on a year of friendship.
Trust.
Respect.
Kindness.
And fifty two Wednesdays.
The following Saturday they met for their very first official date.
Not at an outdoor restaurant.
Neither of them was quite ready for that.
Instead, Ethan took Maya to a beautiful botanical garden.
They wandered through colourful flowers.
Fed ducks by the lake.
Shared afternoon tea in a little greenhouse café.
And laughed about the strange way they'd met.
As the sun began to set, Maya looked across at him and smiled.
"You know..."
"What?"
"I'm really glad I bumped into you."
He smiled back.
"I'm really glad you told me to run."
Sometimes love begins with flowers.
Sometimes with music.
Sometimes with a first kiss.
Their story had begun with chaos.
But it had been built, one gentle Wednesday at a time.
And somehow...
That made it even more beautiful.
The End










Comments
Post a Comment